Love What You Do #1: Get Clarity
To celebrate International Coaching Week I’ve put together a series of tips to help maximise what you do at work.
This Love What You Do series starts today with Tip 1: Get Clarity!
[NB I write this series of tips in the context of the workplace, but you could apply most, if not all, the ideas to other areas of your life.]
One of the key factors in enjoying any job I’ve done is being really clear about my role. If I don’t have that clarity, it impacts on my motivation levels and my ability to apply myself successfully to the job at hand.
If you’re not clear about your job, it’s important to ask questions – of yourself initially, then others where appropriate! Here are a few to get you started …
Key questions – to help you get clarity
- So, how clear are you about the expectations of your line manager/colleagues?
- How clear are you about your job description, and how this affects your day-to-day routine?
- How do you know when you’ve achieved your targets? Have success criteria been set? What feedback do you get, or do you just know it inside?
- What about when changes are brought in – are you given (or do you seek out) the clarity you need on how these changes impact on you (day-to-day as well as longer-term)?
- What are all the different ways you could get clarity about your role?
Use these questions as a starting point to work on getting that clarity now to make the coming year/12 months your most successful yet!
Thank you for taking time to read this blog.
I’m Debbie Inglis, a performance coach, mentor and trainer, working with Heads, Principals, School leaders and their teams to maximise leadership performance, create more effective, confident, and motivated teams … in a way that brings out the best in you.